By default, the Orbi Voice is set to Orbi mode which is compatible with Orbi router only. If you are using any other router and want to connect the Orbi Voice to it, then configure it in Extender mode.
The steps to set up the Orbi voice RBS40V in Extender mode are given below:
- Place the Orbi voice next to the router or at a maximum distance of 5 feet.
- Connect the Orbi voice to the power outlet. You can connect to any nearby power socket.
- If the Orbi Voice is on, then turn it off and press the ‘Sync’ key from the hardware.
- Simultaneously press the power button from the hardware. You will find the ring LED pulsing white or light blue.
- Release the button now and the Orbi voice is now entered into the extender mode. The LED in the ring will first blink light blue and then gets stable with a light blue color.
- After the solid light turns on, you can now start with the setup. The Orbi voice is now in the extender mode.
- Connect the smart wireless device to the extender SSID which is somewhat similar to Netgear_Ext.
- Once connected to the above-mentioned SSID, open the browser and enter Mywifiext.net in the address bar.
- As soon as the page gets opened, you will get the notification for performing an update of firmware. Click to continue.
- The latest firmware version for the Orbi voice will start installing.
- If you want to manually check the latest version of firmware for the Orbi voice in extender mode, then enter the support address for the Netgear products manually in the address space.
- Once downloaded, go to the ‘Browse’ option to extract the files and select the location on the extender where you want to place these files.
- After the updating and installation part is finished, you need to reboot the device.
- To continue the setup, download the Netgear app on your mobile from the app store. If you are using the Apple app store, then download it from there. Otherwise, go to Play Store for Android devices.
- After the app gets installed, connect the mobile device to the extender and read on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
- If you want to use the Alexa on your Orbi voice, then the Alexa account is mandatory. You can create the account free of cost on Amazon.com
- After the setup is complete, you can place the Orbi voice to your desired location.
The Orbi voice is now configured as an extender. If you want to return the Orbi voice to the Orbi mode, then it is quite simple. Simply perform the factory reset function. The steps for which are already discussed in the previous post.